Wednesday, February 06, 2008

Who Needs Prayer?

“I tell you to pray for all people, asking God for what they need and being thankful to him.”
–The Apostle Paul in 1 Timothy 2:1 (NCV)

Everybody needs prayer. Sometimes, however, it’s seems easier for me to pray for the needs of others than it is to seek prayer for myself. I wonder if this is somehow because—and I am guessing—by concentrating on the needs of others I sometimes find that I feel better about myself, thinking that my troubles may not seem as bad as the needs of those for whom I am praying. I know God’s word commands us to pray for one another, but why do we deny our own need for prayer?

The Apostle Paul wrote to Timothy and told him “to pray for all people” because Paul knew God could meet all people’s needs and was, therefore, worthy of thankfulness all the time. But Paul was not above asking for prayer support from his brothers and sisters in Christ.

Paul made a request to the church in Ephesus to pray for him. He wrote: “Pray also for me, that whenever I open my mouth, words may be given me so that I will fearlessly make known the mystery of the gospel, for which I am an ambassador in chains. Pray that I may declare it fearlessly, as I should” (Ephesians 6:19-20 NIV). In this request, obviously, Paul is asking the Ephesians to pray that God equip him to teach the message of Jesus Christ effectively and fearlessly. This is his main concern, it seems, because he asks it twice. But there is a subtle reminder of another personal need of Paul’s mentioned in two words: “in chains.” Paul was a great ambassador for the Kingdom of God and the message of Jesus Christ, but at the time of his request, it had cost him his freedom.

I wonder if being “in chains” wasn’t a real downer sometimes for Paul, regardless of how thankful he was to God for the privilege of suffering for Jesus (see 2 Corinthians 12:9-10). I wonder if Paul had days where he just didn’t feel like being “ON” for the Kingdom and wanted to take a mental health day. So, sure, Paul asks for fearless effectiveness as the subject for the prayers of his friends. But was Paul also admitting he needed encouragement from God because of the chains associated with being a servant of Jesus Christ?

We must admit our needs and seek the prayers of others on our behalf. At first glance this may sound selfish, but hear me out. Sometimes we don’t ask for prayer for our own needs because we don’t want to admit that we ARE in need of prayer. We may not want to appear weak by asking others to pray for us. But until we admit our own weakness and need for prayer, we are not being very humble, an important component in getting God to hear our prayers (see 2 Chronicles 7:14).

Everybody needs prayer. We all struggle with temptation and sin. We all struggle with pain and disappointment. We all struggle with finding God’s plan and guidance in our lives. To deny these needs makes us out to be liars. Nobody has life all together and to act like we do is arrogance.

Furthermore, by admitting our needs for prayer to one another, we are actually admitting our need for God to move and work in our lives. If we can’t admit we need prayer, then, we are admitting, on a heart level, that we don’t need God. But the truth is: We all need God.

So here’s the question to consider: how can we expect God to move in the lives of others if we won’t admit that we also need Him to move in our lives? That’s just not right. Instead, we must do what James 5:16 (Amplified) says: “Confess to one another therefore your faults—your slips, your false steps, your offenses, your sins—and pray also for one another, that you may be healed and restored to a spiritual tone of mind and heart. The earnest, heartfelt, continued prayer of a righteous man makes tremendous power available, dynamic in its working.”

We all need prayer like we all need God. I need you to pray for me. I’m praying for you.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

A BIGGGG AMEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3/14/2008 11:35 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Are you saying that God will not answer our prayers for others if we do not pray for ourselves?

4/17/2008 8:53 PM  
Blogger Sojourner said...

Am I "saying that God will not answer our prayers for others if we do not pray for ourselves?" The answer is NO. Some prerequites for answered prayer are humility before God (2 Chron. 7:14), praying in the Name of Jesus (John 14:13-14), praying by faith (James 5:15), and seeking answers to prayer according to God's will (1 John 5:14-15). Also it is important to remember "the prayer of a righteous man is powerful and effective" (James 5:16), remembering that only through faith in Jesus Christ is anyone made righteous (Romans 3:21-26).

I wrote, "How can we expect God to move in the lives of others if we won't admit that we also need Him to move in our lives?" This has more to do with the faith and humility we have and demonstrate in our hearts and lives before God and others. We need to be transparent and authentic in admitting and sharing our needs for prayer before others. No one is above asking for and seeking prayer from loving brothers and sisters in Christ. But I am not advocating self-centered prayers where we concentrate more on praying for ourselves to the exclusion of thinking about and praying for the needs of others.

It is a privilege to go before the throne of God in prayer on behalf of a fellow believer facing some issue. There becomes something wrong with me, I believe, when I keep my own prayer needs to myself for fear others might think I am weak. If others have entrusted me with the blessing of praying for them in their weakness and pain, I ought to admit my own weakness and pain before those I trust to lovingly care about my struggles and failings and give them the privilege and blessing of praying for me.

Additionally, I believe that even if we just say to a friend or friends we know love us, "Hey guys, I really need prayer," without being specific about what we need prayer for, the Holy Spirit knows our needs (Romans 8:26) and God will answer the prayers according to His perfect will and timing.

We are all in this together. And, even though I may be a pastor, I still need your prayers because I don't have it all together. I will pray for you. Don't stay Anonymous too long.

4/18/2008 9:56 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for answering. It's refreshing to see a transparent pastor. Pastors needing to "have it all together" when none of us do is sad. The most moving kind of testimony is God's revelation of His strength in our weakness. I think the greatest strength of a Christian leader is to show the sufficiency of Christ through the desperate need of EVERY man/woman. His faithfulness in our desperation is much more inspiring than a super performing person!

4/18/2008 10:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home