Wednesday, July 19, 2006

Detours to Maturity?

I was reading an article entitled "A Twentysomething Addresses the Church" by Sarah Cunningham and totally understood where she was coming from. But then I remembered: I am a thirtysomething and will only be such for nine more months.

When I was a twentysomething, I loved watching the show thirtysomething on TV. I must have been mature for my age. Does that mean that I am immature for my age now?

I think about this every once in a while. I start to add up all the years I spent detoured in the wrong direction and regret all the wasted time wandering in the wilderness. I calculate that I have spent much of my thirtysomething years off track somewhere. So then I wonder where and who I'd be if I had been more faithful in the past. Did Moses feel this way 39 years after killing the Egyptian and hiding in Midian tending Jethro's sheep before seeing the burning bush (Exodus 2:11-4:17)? Did the children of Israel feel this way 39 after missing their first opportunity to enter the promised land (Numbers 13-14; Deuteronomy 1:19-2:15)?

But then I think about all the things God has taught me while off the beaten path. Thankfully, God used my detours to teach me about Him and to teach me to trust Him more and more. Could God have matured me on the faithful path? I am sure He could have but it may have taken longer or I may never have learned what I know now. I can only guess about what might have been. But, I know for sure that God used my faithless excursions as detours to maturity. Romans 8:28 (New Living Translation) says:

"And we know that God causes everything to work together for the good of those who love God and are called according to his purpose for them."

If God used those detours to mature me, does that mean I should choose those paths of faithlessness and disobedience on purpose? No way! (Romans 6:1-2, 15-18) I would rather stay in center of God's will for my life, faithfully pursuing becoming like His Son Jesus Christ, living by the power of His Holy Spirit (Ephesians 4:14-16; Galatians 5:16-18, 22-25).

If you are on a detour to maturity, learn all you can and trust God like crazy. What I have found is that I needed all the instruction which I learned on the detour in order to be equipped for the journey at this place in my life. The detour was hazardous and painful as I struggled in the wilderness until God was ready for me to get on the road to the "promised land" He has planned for me. Obedience and faith, though it too may be a difficult road to follow, is a better path to follow. It requires strength and courage (Joshua 1:6-9) but a joyful fellowship with God through Jesus and by His Spirit on the journey is so much better.

“Be strong and courageous, for you are the one who will lead these people to possess all the land I swore to their ancestors I would give them. Be strong and very courageous. Be careful to obey all the instructions Moses gave you. Do not deviate from them, turning either to the right or to the left. Then you will be successful in everything you do. Study this Book of Instruction continually. Meditate on it day and night so you will be sure to obey everything written in it. Only then will you prosper and succeed in all you do. This is my command—be strong and courageous! Do not be afraid or discouraged. For the Lord your God is with you wherever you go.” - Joshua 1:6-9 New Living Translation (2004 Edition)

The Lord your God is with you wherever you go. No matter whether you are a twentysomething, a thirtysomething, or a one-hundred-andsomething God will be with you.

P.S.:
The band Jonah33 has a great song called "This Is It (You Instead Of Me)" on their CD The Strangest Day. Here are the lyrics:
Because I’m playing for keeps this time around
I’m in too deep
To think about falling down
And giving up again
I want to live each day just like
It was my last chance to prove
You’re all I have
And that is all I need

CHORUS: This is it—it’s what we’re waiting for!
This is it—it’s all we’re fighting for!
I finally get a chance to show the world
What You have done for me
So let this moment be
You instead of me.

Tired and bruised—every broken bone
Reminds me that I’m far from home
And these scars remind me who I am
But You’re the one
the Reason that I run
And I won’t stop until You’re done
You’re the only hope I have

BRIDGE: I’ve counted the cost and I know
Everything that matters is
Everything worth fighting for

Written by Vince Lichlyter, Joshua B. Dougan, Jeremy Bose ©2005 Photon Music (BMI) & Meadowcreek Music Co. (ASCAP) All Rights Reserved.

2 Comments:

Blogger joyfuljourney said...

When I think about the detours we've been on, I have to be thankful for the blessings that happened along the way. We might not have been doing exactly what He wanted, but He blessed us anyway. There are very special people in our lives we met along a detour - as well as some good memories. Thankfully it wasn't all desert! During the times it was desert and difficult, those words from Joshua were very comforting.

7/19/2006 10:04 PM  
Blogger katidesigns10 said...

Hi Uncle James!!
I don't know when you will actually read this, but Grammy gave me your blog address and I realized that I had one as well, but it needed to be despirated updated. So check me out, and we I have more time, I will read more of what you wrote. Really insiteful stuff!! I'm glad you are doing well. I love seeing Daniel and Grant again!! Ok well, on to see Aunt Jill!!

Love ya

7/28/2006 3:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home